Acne is one of the most prevalent skin problems in the United States. This skin condition causes pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads to appear on your skin. Acne often surfaces on the facial skin, chest, and upper back.
At Mohave Dermatology we offer a wide range of services to treat various skin problems, including acne. We provide tailored treatments based on our client’s requirements. Let’s understand a little more about what acne is, what its symptoms are, the causes, and how we treat this skin condition.
The symptoms of acne vary based on your unique condition, but can include:
- Pimples- Papules with pus at their tips
- Blackheads– Open clogged pores
- Whiteheads- Closed clogged pores
- Papules- Small, red bumps
- Cystic lesions- Pus-filled, painful lumps beneath the skin
- Nodules- Large, painful lumps beneath the skin (nodules)
Acne causes much more than blemishes on your skin. Many studies indicate that acne affects a person’s self-esteem and might also lead to permanent discolorations and scars on the skin.
Causes of Acne
Acne starts when the dead skin cells get trapped inside hair follicles (pores) that produce oil. When your body starts to produce more sebum/oil, these dead skin cells begin to clump and clog the pores.
Acne isn’t contagious; however, it is affected by various environmental factors. Stress and improper eating habits can worsen acne, while sunlight makes it better. There are several different causes of acne, such as:
- Many people notice that they suffer from severe acne breakouts when they consume a particular food. In such cases, it’s best to avoid that specific food.
- Sometimes, hormonal changes in women may cause their acne to worsen before their menstrual period.
- Exercise generally doesn’t have any effect on acne. However, sweating tends to worsen the condition in about 15% of all patients.
- There are times when bacteria that exists on the skin gets lodged inside blocked pores. This results in the rapid multiplication of bacteria, which causes swelling and redness. When this inflammation spreads into your skin, you might develop a nodule or acne cyst.
The Best Acne Treatment at Mohave Dermatology
If you have excessive acne that continues to breakout despite various self-care remedies, you should schedule an appointment at Mohave Dermatology. One of our expert dermatologists will carefully examine your skin and recommends the most suitable treatment based on the type of acne.
We offer a wide range of specialized acne treatments. However, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to treating this skin problem. Depending on the type of acne you have, our providers may recommend one or more of these treatments:
- Accutane® pills
- Antibiotic pills
- Benzoyl peroxide-a topical medication
- Retin-A®- for whiteheads, blackheads, and papules
- Chemical peels
Our team of providers is here to provide all the information you need about our services. You can also schedule an appointment with us, via this online form.