In the United States, approximately 20 million women and 30 million men experience hair loss annually. Several different diseases can affect the scalp and hair. Various conditions can cause hair loss in both men and women.
We at Mohave Dermatology offer the best hair loss treatments to men and women of all ages. Our expert dermatologists create tailored treatment plans that address your specific condition, so you are assured of the best and most effective treatments. Let’s take a closer look at what causes hair loss and the different treatment options available to you.
About Hair Loss
Diseases including anemia, male/female pattern baldness, alopecia areata, and scalp infections can all cause considerable loss of daily well-being. On average, a healthy scalp sheds around 25-100 hairs each day. Higher than normal hair shedding or the development of bald patches on the scalp indicates a hair loss problem, referred to as alopecia.
Causes of Hair Loss
The various causes of hair loss include:
- Abnormal hair cycling
- Family history of baldness
- Rapid weight loss
- Hormonal changes
- Protein or Irion deficiency
- Excess vitamin A intake
- Inflammation/infection of the scalp
- Protein or iron deficiency
- Untreated ringworm condition of the scalp
Generally, the earlier a person experiences hair loss, the more severe their baldness will become.
Different Types of Baldness
When we are treating hair loss, we take into account the person’s medical history, lifestyle, genetic factors, and overall health as well. The treatment plan that we devise is specific to each patient. This is because just as there are different reasons for hair loss, there are different types of baldness, such as:
- Male-pattern baldness which is typically a hereditary condition.
- Female-pattern baldness in which the hair thins all over the head, but it rarely results in complete hair loss.
- Alopecia areata is the sudden loss of hair in one specific area. Allergies or autoimmune conditions could cause this condition.
- Toxic alopecia or telogen effluvium hair loss might occur following a severe illness or high fever. Childbirth or medical conditions like thyroid disease may also trigger this type of baldness as can some medications.
- Cicatricial alopecia is caused due to X-ray therapy, injury, or burns where the scarred spots might prevent hair growth. Fungal or bacterial skin infections, diseases, such as lupus, skin cancer, lichen planus, tuberculosis, or sarcoidosis can also cause this type of baldness.
- Trichotillomania or the hair pulling habit can result in hair loss.
Hair Loss Treatment
Depending on the cause and nature of the hair loss, the treatment options could include:
- Corticosteroid injections ( for alopecia areata treatment)
- Medications to promote hair growth (minoxidil & finasteride)
- Treating the underlying condition or diseases
- Skin grafts and lifts
- Scalp reduction
- Hair transplants
Hair Replacement Surgery
We offer a range of hair replacement techniques. However, hair replacement surgery doesn’t work for people that suffer from total baldness. Hair replacement is beneficial only for those who have a healthy growth of hair at the sides and back of the head. These serve as hair donor spots from where flaps and grafts will be taken. We offer hair replacement methods such as:
- Hair transplantation
- Scalp expansion
- Flap surgery
- Scalp reduction
Expert Hair Loss Treatment
As mentioned at the outset, our hair loss treatments are completely customized. When you come to us with your hair loss concern, our expert dermatologists will conduct a thorough examination and ask you detailed questions. They will understand your medical history, lifestyle and also take genetic factors (if any) into account. Armed with all this information, they will create a comprehensive treatment plan that gives you the best and most effective results.
Our team of experts is here to provide all the information you need about our services. You can also schedule an appointment with us, via this online form.